Hearing loss is a gradual or sudden decrease in how well a person can hear. Depending on the cause, it can be permanent or temporary, severe, or mild. People with mild hearing loss may have problems understanding speech, especially in noisy places, while those with moderate hearing loss may need a hearing aid. Patients with any form of hearing impairment should visit an experienced doctor of audiology at County Hearing And Balance. The doctor will ask several questions regarding the symptoms and carry out tests to determine the exact cause of the problem. They will then recommend the best treatment to remedy the problem. Here are some important details to know about Hearing Loss in Groton CT.
What causes hearing loss?
Some of the most common causes of hearing loss include:
• Earwax buildup
• Brain injuries
• Ear infection, also known as otitis media
• Foreign object in the ear
• Infection in the ear canal
• Exposure to loud noise
• Aging (presbycusis)
• Meniere’s disease
• Autoimmune inner ear disease
What are the different types of hearing loss?
There are three primary types of hearing: conductive, sensorineural, and mixed hearing impairments.
• Conductive hearing loss: It occurs when vibrations cannot pass through from the outer ear to the inner ear. This can be due to malfunctioning ossicles (bones in the middle ear), glue ear, earwax buildup, fluid buildup, perforated eardrum, or an ear infection.
• Sensorineural hearing loss: It caused by the dysfunction of the auditory nerve, the cochlea, and the inner ear or due to brain damage. This form of hearing loss is characterized by excessive damage to the hair cells in the cochlea.
• Mixed hearing loss: This is a combination of sensorineural and conductive hearing loss.
How is hearing loss treated?
Treatment for hearing loss depends on the cause of the problem. Different treatment options may include the use of implanted hearing devices, such as cochlear implants, hearings aids, and assistive listening and alerting devices. It is important to visit an experienced doctor of audiology for the best hearing loss treatment.
These are just some of the most important details to know about Hearing Loss in Groton CT.
Be the first to like.