Don’t Sit Idly By Being Shorted Pay That Is Covered By The Wage And Hour Law

It doesn’t matter if you work for a large or small employer; wage and hour violations take place more frequently than you think. The Wage And Hour Law covers workers that are hourly or workers that are being paid on a salary basis but are actually hourly employees. Hourly employees are entitled to overtime pay under this law. Managers may alter your time card removing time that you worked so you’re not paid overtime. This is against the law. Also under Federal law, an employer is required to pay you a minimum wage if they meet the requirements.

The law is very clear that your employer cannot force you to work off the clock and not compensate you. They also are not permitted to reduce your pay because of giving you something such as a computer or a meal. Individual states also have their own wage and hour laws that cover employees in that state. In addition, your pay periods must be at regular intervals. For example, your employer cannot pay you on a Friday then wait two or three weeks and pay you on a Monday and keep changing your pay dates. Employers are also required to keep accurate records of all time worked.

Another thing that happens frequently is an employer will make an employee “salary”. This means they are excluded from collecting overtime and don’t have to punch a clock for their hours worked. Although this may be convenient for the employee and employee, your exempt status means you are to be paid a certain wages. Your job duties must also fit into the category of being exempt from overtime.

If you feel that your employer may have you categorized incorrectly and you’re actually entitled to overtime, you need to contact an attorney that is experienced in Wage And Hour Law. The statue of limitations is limited for making a claim against your employer. If you think you are not being paid properly, it is worth getting a free consultation from an experienced attorney. The law is there to protect you the worker and an experienced attorney can obtain what you are legally allowed to receive. Contact The Law Offices of Filteau & Sullivan for more information.

1 person likes this post.