Most people are aware of the importance of caring for their teeth and gums, but the latest research suggests many people do not realize the full impact poor gum health can have on the entire health of your body. Recently, researchers have found a link between poor gum health and heart disease, proving taking care of your gums is more important than ever before. Through proper brushing and flossing, you can keep your gums healthy and avoid many gum diseases and infections. When you have neglected the health of your smile, you may notice symptoms arising in your gums. When you notice these issues, it is important to see the Dentist in Vista, CA right away for prompt dental treatment.
Signs You Have Gum Disease or Infection
Gum disease progresses slowly at first and begins with a condition called Gingivitis. This simply means you are in the beginning stages of gum disease and can reverse your gum issues with proper dental care and good oral hygiene practices.
- Redness is common when one is suffering with gum disease. Healthy gums should be pink and should not look inflamed. When the gums are red, this indicates you have an underlying gum condition.
- Swelling can occur in both the gums and in the jaw. Often, the swelling can be painful.
- Bleeding can occur when you brush your teeth too roughly, but bleeding is not normal when it occurs for other reasons. If you have bleeding gums, it is imperative you seek dental treatment to find the cause.
- Pain normally occurs when the gum disease has become advanced. Pain begins when swelling causes pressure on the nerves in the gums. Painful and tender gums should always be investigated for infection and disease.
- Fever is common when an infection is in place. When the infection invades the gums and teeth, you may experience a high fever. If you have a fever, coupled with other symptoms of gum disease or infection, you need treatment as soon as possible.
If you are in need of dental treatment, contact the office of Dr. George Braithwaite today. He can care for your gum disease and give you the relief you need. He also offers a variety of dental services, to meet your every need.
Be the first to like.