If your child has an overbite or an underbite, you may need to talk to your dentist. If they concur, they may suggest that you visit, instead an orthodontist. Depending upon the outcome of that visit, the orthodontist may recommend dental braces. In the West Loop, it has become more common and less a stigma for everyone, including adults, to wear braces.
The Purpose of Dental Braces
When you talk about dental braces at Pure Dental Spa in the West Loop, they will be sure to inform you of your options. Orthodontists understand the reasons why you may request dental braces. In the West Loop, they hear a variety of reasons. Mainly, they fall into cosmetic or dental. An orthodontist may recommend them if the following are valid:
* Your dentist has informed you and passed the information on to the orthodontist that your bite is abnormal;
* Your teeth are out of alignment and can interfere with your eating
* Your teeth are so crooked it is actually affecting your ability to function in school
* You are afflicted by any of the following conditions: deep bites, crossbites, overbites, open bites and malocclusions.
After acceptance of your child or yourself as a viable candidate for dental braces in the West Loop, orthodontists will be available for an examination. When this is completed and all the data is in, the discussion will turn to what type of dental braces will best suit the purpose and the individual.
Basic Types of Dental Braces
The basic purpose of braces is to straighten your teeth. This can be accomplished in one of several ways. The type of treatment, e.g. braces, you will receive is dependent upon several interrelated factors. These consist of your preference, the recommendations of the orthodontist and your budget. Below is a list of some of the more common forms of braces.
* Traditional Braces/ Metal Braces: While this type of braces has greatly improved from the earlier days – the wire brackets are smaller, they still consist of wire and metal. The pros are the cost; the cons are the visibility.
* Ceramic Braces: While somewhat more costly than the traditional variety, these are clear and bear a closer resemblance to what is natural. This makes them less noticeable and, therefore to some, preferable.
* Lingual Braces: These resemble traditional braces in most ways. The exception is the placement of the brackets and wires. Instead of being in front of the teeth, they are at the back. They prove to be more costly, less visible but can also be more painful and harder to adjust than traditional braces.
* Clear Aligners: The most common example of clear aligners is Invisalign. This type of appliance is custom made from clear plastic. Expensive but almost entirely invisible, aligners require gradual adjustment and more than one customized set. They are often meant for use by adults and cannot address serious dental problems.
Dental Braces – the Best Option
If it looks like someone in your family requires braces, take the time to talk to the professionals at Pure Dental Spa. They are there to help and are trained to provide you information about all your options. You can be confident that a skilled orthodontist will guide you and your child through the entire process, making it less a tribulation and more a learning experience.
Be the first to like.