Reno is a beautiful place to live, but it’s a lot more enjoyable in the summer with air conditioning. All that cool air doesn’t come for free, so here are a few tips to help you save some of that hard-earned money.
Things your mother told you about that still work:
* Don’t leave the door open and let all that cool air rush outside.
* Turn off lights when you leave the room. Even new fluorescent bulbs generate some heat. Upgrade to the new bulbs to save even more.
* Dry some or all of your clothes outside on a clothesline — that fresh air smell is a plus.
* When it’s the hot outside, close curtains and blinds.
* A programmable thermostat will quickly pay for itself. Set it to bump up the temperature a bit when no one is home.
* Lamps generate heat, so make sure that they are not located near the thermostat. Even a small lamp left turned on near the thermostat will cause the AC to run more than it needs to — wasting money.
* Any appliance that adds heat to the air will raise the electric bill. Instead of using the oven, grill outside, make a crockpot meal or use the microwave. Do laundry or dishes during the evening.
* Don’t have the condenser unit sitting in full sun all day. Plant shrubs or trees to provide shade so that the unit doesn’t have to work as hard.
* Shade trees on the south and west sides of the home will help keep the house cool. When possible, limit the use of asphalt and cement; grass or mulch are cooler.
* Smart Strips can turn off electronics when they are not being used. If it draws power, it’s putting heat into the home.
* Have the AC unit properly maintained with regular check-ups. Make sure filters are changed as needed.
Paschall Plumbing Heating Cooling has been a trusted and reliable plumbing contractor in Sparks, NV for over 30 years. This family-owned and -operated business understands what their customers need from a plumber and are dedicated to providing it. The company offers flat rate pricing and 24/7 service without added charges. Certified and trained technicians know what they’re doing; their goal is to always do it right the first time. Anyone who needs help with their AC in Reno area should contact this reputable local company.
Be the first to like.